Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thunder. (Timeline: 1940s & 1950s, 1987)


In Denmark the thunder is said to be caused by Tor (Thor, one of the old Norse gods) swinging or throwing his war-hammer. The Danish word for thunder is "torden" and lightning is "lyn".

My mother used to say the thunder was a big sack of potatoes rolling down the wooden stairs. We would stay up and cuddle together whenever there was a major thunder storm; they most often hit at night. I remember many a night when we would look out the window for the lightning and then count seconds until we heard the thunder.

My scariest experience with thunder was right after I bought the house I now live in. There was an old abandoned wooden house right next to me, with quite a few big trees. The biggest was an old fir, right next to my fence and only about 10 or 12 feet from my back door. I was in the kitchen when I heard the loudest bang I have ever heard! I ran out in the pouring rain to see what happened. A lightning bolt had hit the fir tree; a HUGE branch was broken off and one could see where the lightning had traveled down the tree; removing a foot wide strip of bark and scorched the wood. Luckily the branch fell mostly on the other side of my fence, and since it had rained torrents for a while, the old tree didn't catch on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment