Monday, June 21, 2010

An Audie Murphy Memory. (Timeline: 1965)

One of my earliest visits to Audie's house (I think my second time, but I am not sure), he told me he had a horse racing the next day. He also told me that his racing colors (the colorful shirts the jockeys wear) were gold and black. Being still new in this country, I didn't realize that there were races for horses other than Thoroughbreds, so I arranged to swap my next day off so I could go to the races the following day, for the first time in this country. So I headed to Hollywood Park.

Surprisingly enough, Hollywood Park is nowhere near Hollywood, which I didn't know at the time. I finally found it after having to change buses several times. Bought a program, which lists all the horses entered in each race, including jockeys, owners, racing colors, etc. No horses owned by Audie and no colors like what Audie had described. There was one with black and tangerine racing colors. No reference to Audie Murphy as the owner, but I assumed that the ownership was a pseudonym, for obvious reasons. No such luck!

A bit of a disappointment that I never got to see Audie's horse running, but I still managed to enjoy myself. I only found out later that Audie Murphy's race horses were all Quarter Horses, and they race at a different track than the Thoroughbreds.

1 comment: